Note: Let’s get the real questions out of the way first. Industry standards range between $0.003 to $0.04 per word for copy editing. Content editors charge between $0.005 and $0.037 per word.
- I charge $0.007 per word for content and copy editing. I will go through your manuscript thoroughly, at least once, more than likely twice. I use Microsoft Word exclusively, and make use of the Track Changes and Comment features liberally, if/when needed.
- I monitor plot changes, inconsistencies, character development, head-hopping, trademark use. I usually don’t correct grammar in dialogue unless it’s difficult to understand although I always correct spelling.
- Copyediting services are offered if you’re a known-to-me author and/or you’re certain your content is already solid. This service is offered at $0.005 per word. However, if it becomes clear that you need more than simple copy editing, you will be notified. Remember, your finished product is a reflection of my work as well!
- I use Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster, unless otherwise requested or specified. I also have access to multiple medical dictionaries such as Mosby’s, Stedman’s and Taber’s (as well as the multitude of medical and nursing textbooks I’ve accumulated during nursing and NP school).
- Editing rates are based on word count of the manuscript when I receive it. At least 50% of the fee is due at the time I receive the manuscript. Once the project is complete, you’ll receive written notification, at which time the remaining amount of the fee is required.
- This process is time consuming and involves my thorough, single-minded concentration. Therefore, all work is nonrefundable.